Aug 1, 2012, 9:09 AM EDT
How much trouble is Real Salt Lake in, now that its CONCACAF Champions League fight has begun with little bit of a bloody nose?
Not much, really. Three matches remain in group play, two against Panamanian champion Tauro FC and one more against last night’s opposition, Herediano of Costa Rica.
The 1-0 loss Tuesday does shrink the CCL margin for error. It adds a little more pressure to get wins, not ties, in the two subsequent home matches in the tournament. And it means RSL must pay closer attention to goal difference during matches in Utah and the one in Panama – which may adjust manager Jason Kreis’ strategy here and there.
(This year’s reformatted CCL competition includes three-team groups rather than four-team groups as before.)
What Kreis said about last night’s 1-0 loss in San Jose, Costa Rica, where defender Nat Borchers’ ejection left the Utah side with 10 men for the final half-hour. (His complete quote sheet is here.)
We struggled to get possession of the ball and we’re a team that likes to have possession of it, control the tempo of the match and we struggled to do that. And then we got punished for it, I think rightly so when Herediano scored a very scored a very good goal. But as the game wore on I thought we got better and better. Towards the end of the first half we put some pressure on them and I thought we were a little unfortunate not to score a goal.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public