Aug 1, 2012, 9:09 AM EDT
How much trouble is Real Salt Lake in, now that its CONCACAF Champions League fight has begun with little bit of a bloody nose?
Not much, really. Three matches remain in group play, two against Panamanian champion Tauro FC and one more against last night’s opposition, Herediano of Costa Rica.
The 1-0 loss Tuesday does shrink the CCL margin for error. It adds a little more pressure to get wins, not ties, in the two subsequent home matches in the tournament. And it means RSL must pay closer attention to goal difference during matches in Utah and the one in Panama – which may adjust manager Jason Kreis’ strategy here and there.
(This year’s reformatted CCL competition includes three-team groups rather than four-team groups as before.)
What Kreis said about last night’s 1-0 loss in San Jose, Costa Rica, where defender Nat Borchers’ ejection left the Utah side with 10 men for the final half-hour. (His complete quote sheet is here.)
We struggled to get possession of the ball and we’re a team that likes to have possession of it, control the tempo of the match and we struggled to do that. And then we got punished for it, I think rightly so when Herediano scored a very scored a very good goal. But as the game wore on I thought we got better and better. Towards the end of the first half we put some pressure on them and I thought we were a little unfortunate not to score a goal.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season
- What Moyes Really Meant by Asking Fans for More Time at Man United
- Manchester United Set to Sign Record $1 Billion Sponsorship Deal with Nike
- Will Johnson: We Weren't All Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro