Aug 2, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Stop us if you’ve heard this one before: Landon Donovan may leave the Los Angeles Galaxy to join a team in Europe after the season.
Now keep reading.
Over at ESPN, Doug McIntyre and Luke Cyphers have a report that “more than one league insider told us that they don’t think Donovan will be in MLS next season.” (It’s Insider, so you’ll just have to trust us on the content.) There’s no reason to doubt the report and, for a number of reasons that they cite, a move makes sense. In no particular order: It’s the last year of Donovan’s contract, Frank Lampard, Everton, and Tim Cahill.
But the biggest one is that a move could actually extend Donovan’s playing career. How could moving to the world’s best, most physical league keep Donovan around for longer?
The Galaxy star is clearly getting tired of his surroundings. He seems to love California, but recent comments show that he’s lost a little bit of that fire to play. MLS is good — getting better all the time — but it almost seems too easy for Donovan at times. The challenge of the EPL would reignite him. He’s not quite as fast as he used to be, but he’s still quick and smart and skilled. He’d fit in at Everton (or any team, for that matter).
A move would allow Donovan to do what he does best: make his team better. He’s not the type of guy who thrives as the best player on a squad; he’s much better picking his spots, playing with intelligence, and adding value. The successful stints at Everton came because he didn’t try to do too much. Donovan let the game come to him and made an impact when and where he could. (That’s called experience.)
Getting out of LA is a logical step. I hope it happens. It would be fun to watch and good for his career.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public