Aug 2, 2012, 11:16 AM EDT
Who can explain Toronto FC’s magic charms in CONCACAF Champions League?
I realize that Toronto isn’t slicing through Champions League like a sharp knife through well-cooked brisket. But relatively speaking, comparing performance in CCL vs. performance in league play, the contrast is just this side of stunning.
Remember last spring, when the club couldn’t spell “Win” in league play if you showed it to them on flash cards?
But they were rolling grande in CCL, battling their way into elimination play and then knocking down the mighty L.A. Galaxy. The Reds held their own against a powerful Santos Laguna until things got away from them in the second half of the second leg down in Mexico.
So, here we go again?
That wily old Paul Mariner downplayed his team’s stake in CCL, insisting that points in league play were more precious. Then, shortly thereafter, his team put a serious hurt on El Salvador’s Club Deportivo Aguila.
Mariner’s men battered their travel-weary visitors last night, 5-1. Reggie Lambe (pictured) hit twice for TFC; Luis Silva, Terry Dunfield and Ryan Johnson added one each.
All that said, the team’s next CCL outing will be a whole different jar of jalapenos. TFC faces Santos once again, the overwhelming group favorite. Only one team will move on from the group.
- Jack McInerney would be league’s youngest Golden Boot winner 0
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 2
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago