Aug 2, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
It’s been quite some time, hasn’t it? Well, we’re back with another exciting version of Overlooked and Underloved, highlighting an under-the-radar MLS game. This week, Sporting KC against the New England Revolution.
Usually, we have a whole host of reasons why this will be a good match. This week, only one: Shalrie Joseph.
The Revs midfielder found himself traded to Chivas USA earlier this week, a move that stunned his teammates. And for good reason: Joseph had his struggles, but he was the heart and soul and the most powerful presence of that squad.
Now it’s up to Jay Heaps to keep the team, which hasn’t exactly had the best of seasons, together. A good result against Sporting KC, one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference, would go a long way to rebooting the campaign. The Revs are nine points out of the fifth and final playoff spot, but that’s not an impossible hole to claw out of. Even if they can’t, they could build some solid momentum for next year with a strong second half. That can start this weekend… or it can all go down the tubes right quick.
Like we said, a must-watch in Gillette Stadium.
- Champions League final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 6
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte