Aug 2, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Soccer birthdays: Good thing this stunning Shalrie Joseph trade happened Wednesday and not today. This way Revolution manager Jay Heaps doesn’t have to remember his 36th birthday as the day he traded one of the franchise’s most popular figures.
Elsewhere, Portuguese international Hélder Postiga turns 30.
Big Important Story of the Day: Another MLS side joins the CONCACAF Champions League fight: Seattle meets Caledonia in the Pacific Northwest. Yes, that Caledonia.
Big Story of the Day that’s not really that important, but still a big story: The Galaxy hosts a team you may have heard of. Real Madrid. Coach by Jose Morinho. Dude named Cristiano Ronaldo plays for them. He’s good.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Chris Armas
*Ahead on the blog today: Our weekly Panic Quotient, we’ll start the chatter on next week’s U.S. Open Cup final, plus Noah Davis’ weekly “Overlooked and Underloved” feature, where he reaches deep into the MLS grab bag for a match that needs a little more love.
What you should watch on TV:
Some of you are going to man up and stay up late. So grad a nap, or load up on the Italian roast or whatever. Just get ‘er done. Because Seattle plays in that aforementioned CCL contest (10 p.m. ET on Fox Soccer Channel.) And the Galaxy meets Real Madrid on ESPN2 and 10:30 p.m. ET.
PST background noise while blogging today: Heath Pearce says 96.3 Es Música is his favorite music. I’m a little skeptical – but what the heck, let’s give it a shot.
About the picture (above right): Just a shot of fans at the Olympics soccer tournament. Love me some Olympics!
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 1
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public