Aug 3, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
Among the long, dismal list of things you do not want attached to your players, implication with match-fixing allegations must be right up near the top.
So Montreal Impact officials are surely having some nervous-tummy time over this looming unpleasantness with DP striker Marco Di Vaio.
The Impact’s most handsomely compensated man left for Italy on Thursday for a second round of questioning in hearings into an Italian match-fixing scandal.
He will definitely miss Saturday’s match at Stade Saputo against Philadelphia. The bigger worry is whether it could turn into something more. As CBC Sports in Canada reports: “Di Vaio may be suspended up to six months if found guilty by a disciplinary committee of the Italian soccer federation (FIGC) for failing to report fraud in connection with a 2011 match in which Bologna lost 4-0 at home to Bari. Any suspension would likely include play in MLS.”
Before Impact fans decide how much worry time they should devote here, they should consider that Bologna captain Daniele Portanova faces a three-year ban for his part in this ugliness.
Yikes! But on the other hand, Impact teammate Matteo Ferrari told CBC Sports that should be OK.
“I talked with him and he said he didn’t do anything, so he’s very fine,” Ferrari told the news service.
Oh! Well there you go. The man said he didn’t do anything, so, yeah …
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 20
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 2
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (20)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Donovan: “I’ll get my way back in” with USMNT (9)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team