Aug 3, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Soccer birthdays: India star Sunil Chetri turns 28. The Sporting Kansas City washout currently plays for Sporting Clube de Portugal B. Alrighty then!
Big Important Story of the Day: The American women take on New Zealand in the quarterfinals of the Olympic tournament. Abby Wambach, Alex Morgan, Megan Rapinoe. You know the drill. Win, and the gold-medal game is just one match away.
Big Story of the Day that’s not really that important, but still a big story: Terrence Boyd drew a penalty in Vienna’s 2-1 Europa League loss on Thursday night. The man continues to ball.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Mia Hamm (maybe not that random)
*Ahead on the blog today: We take a look at some MLS salary figures. Plus, Ricardo Clark returns to where he belongs (Houston), and the comedically brilliant stylings of one Steve Davis.
Twitter daps: A two-fer from our man in Belgium, Sacha Kljestan:
What you should watch on TV:
The US women against New Zealand. 9:30 am. NBC Sports Network.
And then: New York Red Bulls against the Houston Dynamo at the beautiful BBVA Compass Stadium, obviously. NBC Sports Network (doubleheader!), 8:00 pm. Get into it.
PST background noise while blogging today: The Star-Spangled Banner. It’s Olympic season.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 0
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 0
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (27)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public