Aug 3, 2012, 12:10 PM EDT
MLSSoccer.com’s Claudia Tristán has done some swell digging, winnowing out some revealing numbers regarding MLS leading scorer Chris Wondolowski.
Like most strikers, “Wonder Wondo” is streaky. But unlike so many of them, the stretches where he’s cold as a San Francisco summer night don’t tend to slog along so interminably.
Wondolowski, the two-time MLS scoring champ who once again leads the field, has not found goal in three matches; his last hit was July 14 (when he hat tricked against Real Salt Lake). But history suggests that he won’t languish long in the “no-goal zone.”
In the time of Wondo (defined as the period beginning in 2010, when the scoring star was finally awarded a starting role), his longest scoreless stretch has been seven matches. Otherwise, he’s suffered just one dry spell of longer than four matches.
Considering the service around him and the general potency seen all year in the Western Conference leaders, and considering that two of the Earthquakes next three matches look like potential “Ws,” I’d be willing to wager a Wondo bobblehead that he won’t be shut down very much longer.
Check out the link above for the run-down of Wondolowski’s brief scoreless stretches.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 4
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- LIVE: Pacers aim to even series with Heat
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final