Aug 4, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT
Yes, you just read that headline. But honestly, posting that headline and the video clip below fall more under “journalistic duty” more than “actual breaking news.”
Because Cristiano Ronaldo, the magician from Real Madrid and probably the second best player in the world, is not coming to Major League Soccer any time soon. Book it.
But he did say so in an interview with Jackie Montgomery that MLS could be in his plans someday. While discussing pre-season training and freindlies in the United States, along with other matters, he says “I hope to come here to play one day.”
(Psst, Jackie Montgomery: hit ‘em with a quick follow-up the next time a big star says something like that. Perhaps something along the lines of “When might something like that happen, Cristiano?”)
Pretty much every big star says something along these lines, mostly just vague references to “playing here one day” – which translates for them into “When I can’t cut it in Europe any more, I would love to live in New York. Or Los Angeles.” Other times, the big star du jour is just being polite, pandering sweetly to his hosts.
Either way, I have dutifully fulfilled my obligation to provide ProSoccerTalk readers with a “heads-up” on this one.
Just don’t go rushing out to purchase your L.A. Galaxy-Ronaldo shirt yet.
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (21)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public