Aug 6, 2012, 9:29 AM EDT
Referee Chris Penso had a tough night in Seattle, where the Galaxy was a poor version of itself in a 4-0 loss to Seattle.
Right away, he missed opportunities to call fouls and create a safer environment for players, one better suited for quality, skillful soccer. But we’ve visited about that before, so I won’t say too much.
Rather, I’ll let David Beckham take over. He let Penso have it over a 15th minute judgment where the man in the middle definitely got it wrong. The Galaxy’s A.J. DeLaGarza broke in alone but was sliced down from behind by Seattle left back Leo Gonzalez. It was an easy penalty kick call, and probably a yellow card too.
Except that it wasn’t. Mr. Beckham, what say you?
I probably shouldn’t say too much but I’ll tell you now an AYSO ref is better than that today. It is quite remarkable. Is it why we lost the game? No. But we definitely would have got back in the game and turned the crowd quiet. Would it have gotten us back into the game? Definitely; but we didn’t play well today and Seattle played a lot better. Big calls like that—it’s a big call in a game like this. It’s disappointing.”
Here is the play in question. You be the judge:
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 5
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 16
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (16)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional