Aug 6, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
For the life of me, I just don’t understand how a massive club like Real Madrid can possibly have an effective training session – and that’s what these U.S. Tour friendless amount to at the end of the day, financially profitable training sessions – in conditions so unfavorable.
Real Madrid downed Mexico’s Santos (including U.S. international Herculez Gomez, who started) in Las Vegas last night. They did so on a field that might have been 64 yards wide (about 10 yards too narrow) and on a night when temperatures were around 100 degrees at kickoff.
That’s not the kind of prep Cristiano Ronaldo (pictured) and Co. optimally require to do battle with Barcelona and the Champions League field that will soon stand between Real Madrid and its 2012-2013 targets.
On the other hand, I suppose we might be denied the opportunity to see goals like the one Xabi Alonso so skillfully deposited into the corner from 25 yards. So, let’s call this one a small win for the fans and just move on.
Here are highlights from last night’s 2-1 win for Real, including a game-winner that rebounded fortuitously off poor Sami Khedira’s face.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 6
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 8
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final