Aug 6, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
Everyone is aflutter today over the Eddie Johnson “7.”
That’s the number of header goals he has this year, and it is an eye-catching sum. But me? I’m more interested in another number, Johnson’s “10.”
The man who came so close to bombing completely out of professional soccer last winter has reached double digits in goals, having just hit No. 10 for the season. He’s tied for fifth in Major League Soccer’s scoring race.
Last night Johnson got his team going in the right direction with a precision, near post run and then a clinical finish of Mauro Rosales’ well-aimed cross. Johnson then went on to set up two more goals as Seattle picked the Galaxy apart in a 4-0 win at CenturyLink Field.
Johnson says he working on consistency. He’s sure making good progress.
“One of the things I put down as my goal is be consistent,” he said following last night’s big result.
“The best players in the world are consistent week in and week out and in this league Chris Wondolowski is a perfect example. To score that many goals year after year is something that’s hard to do. Considering when teams know that you can score goals and their whole scouting report is to stop you scoring goals…to be considered the best up there with the forwards in the league you have to be consistent. I’m trying to be up there where the rest of those guys are at.”
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public