Aug 7, 2012, 1:15 PM EST
Well, this changes things just a little re U.S.-Canada, flying conspiracy theories and shrill howls of “injustice” from the Canadian side.
Looks like most of us missed this one. Lost (for me, at least) in the dramatic hullabaloo of it all, and in my flying-fingers effort to explain some of soccer’s laws in context, I completely missed Melissa Tancredi’s brutal indiscretion during the second half of Monday’s U.S.-Canada match.
The hard-charging, physical Canadian midfielder stomped on Carli Lloyd’s head while the U.S. midfielder lay fallen inside the U.S. penalty area. I just watched video, and there can’t be much doubt that it was as deliberate as it was horribly dangerous to Lloyd (pictured, right).
No question this stomp, in the 55th minute Monday, should have been a straight red – and probably would have been so if spotted by any of the match officials.
If nothing else, this should quiet any of the conspiracy silliness, or the allegations of match fixing. Because if there was ever a justifiable way for a referee to reduce one side to 10 men, this would have been it.
See for yourself:
(NEW UPDATE, 5:07 p.m. ET: here’s a great look at the incident as the NBC team talks about it)
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- MLS Cup 2000 flashback: Molnar, Meola the heroes for Kansas City – video 0
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (17)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)