Aug 7, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
Well, this changes things just a little re U.S.-Canada, flying conspiracy theories and shrill howls of “injustice” from the Canadian side.
Looks like most of us missed this one. Lost (for me, at least) in the dramatic hullabaloo of it all, and in my flying-fingers effort to explain some of soccer’s laws in context, I completely missed Melissa Tancredi’s brutal indiscretion during the second half of Monday’s U.S.-Canada match.
The hard-charging, physical Canadian midfielder stomped on Carli Lloyd’s head while the U.S. midfielder lay fallen inside the U.S. penalty area. I just watched video, and there can’t be much doubt that it was as deliberate as it was horribly dangerous to Lloyd (pictured, right).
No question this stomp, in the 55th minute Monday, should have been a straight red – and probably would have been so if spotted by any of the match officials.
If nothing else, this should quiet any of the conspiracy silliness, or the allegations of match fixing. Because if there was ever a justifiable way for a referee to reduce one side to 10 men, this would have been it.
See for yourself:
(NEW UPDATE, 5:07 p.m. ET: here’s a great look at the incident as the NBC team talks about it)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 4
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 27
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 4
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (27)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Donovan: “I’ll get my way back in” with USMNT (9)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team