Aug 7, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Soccer birthday: Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert turns 43 today. So if you happen to bump into the man while he’s out getting his morning tea or something, wish him a happy one and all. Oh, and ask if he’s going to give U.S. man Brad Guzan a little more playing time this year the Villa Park goal, while you’re at it.
Big Important Story of the Day: Somehow, I don’t suppose we’ve heard the last about the Norwegian referee who decided that right at that moment, right on the business end of a sensation Olympic Women’s Soccer semifinal, was the perfect time to begin enforcing a law that is so universally ignored that it’s barely a law at all.
The men’s Olympic semifinals play out today. (And let’s hope they can get close to being as wonderfully dramatic as the women’s matches were on Monday.) One is our southern neighbor, Mexico, which meets Japan for a place in the gold medal match.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Bob Gansler
*Ahead on the blog today: MLS Weekly Rankings will roll out around 1 p.m. ET. And we’ll start looking ahead to Wednesday’s U.S. Open Cup final from Kansas City (Sporting KC vs. Seattle.)
What you should watch on TV:
- Olympic Men Semifinal: Japan vs. Mexico, noon ET, NBC Sports Network.
- Olympic Men Semifinal: Brazil-South Korea, 2:45 pm ET, NBC Sports Network.
(Both games also on Telemundo)
About the picture (above, right): Even Megan Rapinoe herself says she cannot be held responsible for the nuclear-tipped starbursts of emotion upon scoring a goal.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games