Aug 12, 2012, 1:23 PM EDT
The Seattle Sounders are limping back to the Pacific Northwest this week, surely feeling like their fun family vacation turned into a car-jacking and then a long walk home. With lots of blisters.
The week turned into a giant bummer. So the trick for Sigi Schmid and Co. is to make sure all this doesn’t spiral into an even bigger bummer, one that dents confidence and threatens to crash the bigger plan.
The week started with a trip into Kansas City, where the Sounders nearly pulled off something special, rallying for a late equalizer before losing the U.S. Open Cup final in penalty kicks. That couldn’t feel very nice.
Surely drained from the extra 30 minutes in Kansas City and mentally stressed from it all, Seattle held up well nonetheless last night at San Jose, stretching the current Supporters Shield front-runner.
Again, they turned up with a valiant, late equalizer. And once again, it went sideways at the death when Steven Lenhart scored deep into stoppage time. So, yes, a brutal week could exact a larger toll.
Just read the words of goalkeeper Michael Gspurning who had this to say after last night’s loss:
“It’s normal that you have one game like today. It shouldn’t happen, but it happens. But to have it within three days, to have two so unlucky games, I’ve never seen it before.
“It’s a week if we get over this mentally, then it makes us stronger. But those are just words. We didn’t reach our targets for this week and we have to speak about this.”
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 0
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Jamie Carragher set to close out his 16-year career at Anfield 0
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago