Aug 12, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
In his younger days, Zlatan Ibrahimovic would deliver three or four of these per season. Now, he’s a more cultured sort. For both club and country, he’s a trequartista, creating plays more often than he’s finishing them. As we saw with Sweden this summer, he spends much of his time playing away from the defense.
The same was true yesterday at the Parc de Princes, with Ibrahimovic spending most of PSG’s Ligue 1 opener trying to set up Ezequiel Lavezzi and Jeremy Menez. But as with the case at Milan, where he fully embraced his playmaking future, Zlatan still needed to deliver the key goals.
That’s the context for this clip: Free-spending Paris Saint-Germain has given up two first half goals to FC Lorient, and after near-20 minutes of second half pressure, Ligue 1′s favorites were still looking for their first goal of the season.
Then, the most simple of plays: Get the ball to Ibra. Watch what he does:
You can get more on Ibra and PSG’s opening round performance in yesterday’s Offshore Drilling.
Ibrahimovic went on a slot home an 89th minute penalty, beating Fabien Audard despite the keeper guessing correctly. His second half double pulled PSG even, allowing the Parisians to avoid a second consecutive opening round loss to Lorient.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement