Video: The worst penalty kick in the world?

Aug 13, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT

Screen shot 2012-08-13 at 12.53.46 PM

“For some, this is the worst penalty kick in the world”.

I saw the headline on Chilean site El Gráfico and expected to see something amazing from this weekend’s Primera action (where league-leading Rangers is probably now better than their more famous Scottish namesake). Instead, the outlet was highlighting a kick from the Austrian Bundesliga, one taken by Red Bull Salzburg’s Jonathan Soriano.

In Spanish, the headline read Para algunos este es el peor penal del mundo. That’s a pretty bold statement. What could the worst kick in the world possibly look like? Did Soriano fall in the run up? Trip over himself? Perhaps miss the ball entirely?

That’s what I was prepared for. I certainly never imagined this:

Silver lining: Soriano may have just secured a post-soccer career in the National Football League.

The score would have pulled Red Bull within one with 10 minutes left. Instead, Rapid Wien went on to a 2-0 win in Salzburg, leaving the two clubs as part of the four-way tie for first (with Austria Wien and Ried, each team 3-1-0 through four rounds).

1. dreadpirate82 - Aug 13, 2012 at 4:28 PM

By any chance does Jonathan Soriano play for the English national team?

2. Steve Davis - Aug 13, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I thought I might get a giggle out of this one. Nope. I actually laughed out loud, like I was watching Monty Python back in the day or something. And then when they showed the replay, a whole new laugh out loud. I can’t for the life of me figure out what that man was trying to do.

• Richard Farley - Aug 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM

My best guess: He was trying to Penanka and instead of driving into the ground got waaaaaaay too much of the ball.

3. east96st - Aug 13, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Technically, it could have been worse. He could have shot it that high AND gone wide.

4. adslazaro - Aug 14, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I was kind of expecting to see Graham Zusi.

But I guess this actually is worse.

PST Extra: Race for the PL title