Aug 13, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Soccer birthdays: “It bothers me what the supporters think of me, certainly of the team that I am playing for. You are always going to get stick from opposing fans. That is a fact of life, it has been going on for donkeys’ years and that will continue, whether it is me or whoever comes along in ten years. But it bothers me more what my manager thinks of me and what my own supporters think of me because if they like me, then I must be doing the job I am being paid to do.”
– That’s from Alan Shearer (pictured), the former England international and Newcastle legend, who turns 42 today.
Big Important Story of the Day: The U.S. women have been in the spotlight for a month; now the men get their runway shot. Jurgen Klinsmann revealed yesterday who would be in the travel squad for Wednesday’s high-profile friendly against Mexico. And a surprisingly young squad it was.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Fernando Clavijo
*Ahead on the blog today: More on Klinsmann’s selections, some of the whys and wherefores from the man himself. Plus the Monday deliverables, like MLS Player of the Week, MLS Team of the Week and our Monday “Meh” list.
What you should watch on TV: Hurry, European season. Pretty please hurry up and get here.
PST background noise while blogging today: Anything without a Presidential and/or political ad. I really don’t know if I can take it 85 more days. (Although I suppose a little EPL, La Liga and even some PSG in France will help soften the TV blow over the coming weeks.)
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public