Aug 13, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
When someone catches a genuine MLS legend in a career mark, but that’s just a sidebar on the night, you can bet something special has happened.
Four assists in one match certainly checks the box on “Special.”
And it makes the choice of Player of the Week pretty much a cinch, too.
Landon Donovan had four assists in the Galaxy’s 4-0 destruction of the Dan Kennedys. Er, I mean, the 4-0 destruction over Chivas USA, who weren’t beaten by more thanks to Dan Kennedy’s heroic work in goal.
Donovan was a bad man in this one, alight with energy and desire. His four assists allowed the Galaxy attacker to pass Jaime Moreno on the MLS all-time assist chart. Donovan is now fourth with 105.
Here’s what Galaxy coach Bruce Arena said when asked about Donovan passing Moreno, who once played for Arena at RFK Stadium.
“Jaime was one of the great players in the history of this league. And a great person,” Arena said. “I’d say the same with Landon. Landon really was focused on playing well tonight. When he wants, he’s as good as any player in this league, and I thought he and Robbie once again were in great form.”
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Jamie Carragher set to close out his 16-year career at Anfield 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Washington Spirit at Portland Thorns FC 1
- Something in common for Jurgen Klinsmann, Alex Ferguson 1
- Brek Shea in trouble? After crazy Stoke City prank goes wrong 7
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago