Aug 14, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
This morning’s no-show news of the Columbus Crew’s recent DP signing Federico Higuain (pictured) is disconcerting. (Especially so as Crew players and officials are already dealing with the highly emotional situation involving a teammate’s death.)
The Argentine forward was signed just before Major League Soccer’s international transfer deadline two weeks ago. He has yet to appear in Ohio and Crew officials don’t seem to have a good fix on when that might happen.
Meanwhile, the relevant background here is something that happened just a few months ago, the bizarre case of Jose Moreno.
Officials at Gillette Stadium were quite pleased to announce the forward’s signing in February, but Moreno immediately seemed to regret the move. The club needed to make multiple trips into Colombia to convince him to move north, but things never worked out. Moreno played sparingly and was released in August.
So, let’s hope the Higuain situation doesn’t spin off into similar theater of the bizarre.
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 0
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 3
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team 24
- 2013/2014 Premier League fixtures released 1
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (24)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public