Aug 14, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Soccer birthdays: Italian national team defender Giorgio Chiellini turns 28. And Mila Kunis turns 29 – which has not one thing to do with soccer. But, you know – Mila Kunis!
Big Important Story of the Day: With a round of internationals set for Wednesday, including contests for the United States, Mexico and Canada, did MLS really need to play three mid-week matches? The net-out here is a bunch of teams figuring out today how they’ll cope without important players in meaningful matches tomorrow.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): April Heinrichs
*Ahead on the blog today: Tracking Landon Donovan, tracking Chris Wondolowski and tracking a playoff contender that just might surprise a few folks. Plus ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS rankings.
What you should watch on TV: Chelsea at Barca in last year’s Champions League competition, a replay from last year’s April contest at the Nou Camp. I mean, if you’re desperate for some European soccer.
PST background noise while blogging today: A whole bunch of Daily Shows that have been sadly neglected. (Jon Stewart played soccer in college, you know. He was a winger. Probably on the left, if I’m guessing.)
About the picture below: This is the sweet training field where Jurgen Klinsmann had his team working out Monday in Mexico. Not bad, eh? (And thanks to Greg Lalas for the photo.)
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 1
- Philadelphia’s Jack McInerney would be league’s youngest Golden Boot winner 0
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 3
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 1
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago