Aug 14, 2012, 1:56 PM EDT
Others may talk about the daunting task before Jurgen Klinsmann’s U.S. national team. Facing a nation that’s soaring on high following Olympic gold medal achievement, one already equipped with such tremendous talent, one with plenty of momentum in the U.S. border series, a bunch of young and lesser experienced Americans could easily find themselves on the business end of a schoolyard beating.
So what does Tim Howard want to talk about? The opportunity factor of it all, of course.
The big prize, he says, is the chance to be the first United States team to win at smoggy, thinly aired, formidable Azteca Stadium.
Since 1980, the United States national team has traveled into Mexico City eight times. Once, in 1997, they managed to sneak away with a 0-0 draw. The other seven? All losses.
The KickTV crew is in Mexico and talked to a few of the U.S. players after training Monday. One was Howard; His interview in the video below is about two minutes into the clip. What the U.S main man in goal said:
“The cool thing, whenever you get a chance to play at Azteca, is the chance to be the first [U.S.] team. That always resonates with everyone. That, if we do things right, and we win, we make history.”
Here’s the video from KickTV. Former U.S. national team defender Jimmy Conrad is the man behind the microphone:
(Oh, one more thing, before you get to Conrad’s talks with U.S. players, you have to fight through the cheesy, cliche “Mexican” music. Really, guys? C’mon.)
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Jamie Carragher set to close out his 16-year career at Anfield 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Washington Spirit at Portland Thorns FC 1
- Something in common for Jurgen Klinsmann, Alex Ferguson 1
- Watch live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Watch live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Pole Day of Indy 500 qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago