Aug 15, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
No matter what you think of Hope Solo, say this for the mercurial U.S. goalkeeper: she’s candid and refuses to hide from who she is.
A morning interview on NBC’s Today was about as revealing as a five-minute sit-down can be. They quickly covered a variety of topics, including …
- The process of writing the book along with her co-author felt like daily counseling sessions, she admitted. “But I’m happy and I’m proud of it. It is my life and I don’t shy away from my life. … But it was a hard process to go through.”
- Solo discussed this morning the section of her new book where she admits to being an embarrassed teenager, self-conscious about her father’s homelessness, her mother’s alcoholism and her brother’s troubles with the law.
- She doesn’t regret the recent Twitter fight with TV announcer Brandi Chastain: “No. I am who I am and I’m proud of that.”
- She didn’t really answer a direct question about whether she courts controversy and drama, but did allow this: “Did you see our win against Canada? I think the U.S. team likes drama.”
- Finally, she hinted that the 2012 Olympics may be her last. She will be 35 during the next Summer Games.
The interview is here:
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 4
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead