Aug 15, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Just a small, but relevant, addendum to this morning’s post on the difficult circumstances of tonight’s contest in Mexico:
Jurgen Klinsmann, as noted, wants the mettle-testers, the tough matches. Oh, they’ll probably splash around in the shallow end for matches that punctuate the January camp, a gathering arranged annually to inspect younger elements of the player-pool herd.
But when it comes to presiding philosophy of arranging the friendlies, Klinsmann’s prefers legit tests over confidence boosters. He wants his team stretched. Bob Bradley had drifted that way as well in his later years in charge.
All that said, and in the interest of accuracy, I found out that tonight’s contest at Azteca Stadium was actually on the books prior to Klinsmann’s arrival. This is important, because the timing of it all did look a little half-baked.
U.S. Soccer spokesman Neil Buethe tells me this was part of a one-and-one agreement with Mexico. The southern border rival played here about this time last year – that was Klinsmann’s debut match, in fact – so tonight’s contest represents the reciprocal date.
That’s not to say Klinsmann would or would not have preferred this one; given the highly imperfect timing of this FIFA fixture date, you do wonder if future schedules might be adjusted to avoid such a stiff test in August?
But it’s good to know this, at least: this one was selected for Klinsmann, not by him.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger