Aug 16, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT
Cutting to the chase: They have not lost at home all season.
The New York Red Bulls are 8-0-3 on the year when they play in the friendly confines of Red Bull Arena. Surprised? I know I was. (Technically, they lost to Tottenham, but we’re not counting that here.)
For the first time, MLS Cup will be played in the home stadium of the team with the best record. So all the Red Bulls have to do is win the Supporters’ Shield and the Cup is theirs.
Of course, that’s a big if. The Red Bulls have some work to do to catch the San Jose Earthquakes. They are six points back with 10 games to go. But six of those matches are at home, and two of the road games are very winnable (New England, Philadelphia). It could happen, especially if Timmy Cahill can click with his new teammates.
(The Houston Dynamo are also undefeated at home, but I don’t see them winning the Supporters’ Shield.)
It’s gonna be cold in New York City on December 1, 2012. But winning MLS Cup will make everything just a bit warmer.
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Watch Live: Seattle Sounders vs. L.A. Galaxy (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real fight back to seal El Clasico victory 0
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City: Hammers stun reigning champs 1