Aug 17, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT
What an absolute mess this Clint Dempsey situation has devolved into at Fulham.
As the 2011-12 Premier League season ended, no one could sing loudly enough of Clint Dempsey’s praises. He came off a landmark 23-goal campaign a full-fledged Fulham hero. Where would the U.S. international land, we wondered?
Would such a campaign become a springboard for something more, for entrance into the bigger club that he so passionately sought? Or would be keep “bigger fish, smaller pond” status, sticking around Craven Cottage to become an even more beloved local legend?
Nobody thought of this as an outcome.
He’s in such a bad way now with Fulham manager Martin Jol as both sides have dug in. The relationship deteriorated to the point where Dempsey wasn’t with the club for a trip into Switzerland for pre-season training.
And now comes news this morning that Dempsey will not appear on Saturday’s game-day roster as Fulham opens against Norwich.
Liverpool has long been interested in the Texan; Roma and Tottenham, too, depending on which report you believe. But none have thought Fulham’s $14 million asking price is the right figure.
What Jol told reporters on Friday:
If we get the right price for Clint we will sell him. If not, he will stay. We want to keep him but it’s impossible because he wants to go. Clint wants to go to a Champions League club.”
Stay? Is that even an option at this point? What a shame it would be to watch Dempsey languish unhappily for a full year around Craven Cottage (or even for a few months before the winter transfer window opens).
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 2
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago