Aug 20, 2012, 3:34 PM EDT
There is FC Dallas without David Ferreira. (“Ma, gather up the kids right quick, and keep ‘em in the other room! They don’t need to see this!”)
And there is FC Dallas with David Ferreira. (‘Ma, gather up the kids and come a runnin’! Ya’ll gotta take a look at this.”)
The Colombian playmaker is the very definition of a game-changer. FCD was an unsightly 3-9-6 before Ferreira rejoined the starting lineup last month; Schellas Hyndman’s beleaguered team was at rock bottom on the ProSoccerTalk weekly rankings.
But it’s all different now as FCD is suddenly in the playoff hunt, having sprang forward with a 5-2-2 mark in games with Ferreira among the starting 11.
The big move along the Western Conference table came last week as FCD went on the road for two toughies – but returned Sunday with six huge points and a cargo hold full of confidence.
Not only did Ferreira get two assists on last Wednesday’s 2-0 win at Vancouver, the second goal was all him. Dallas’ creator made the smart run and then held off a defender before sliding a ball perfectly across for the finish.
Then, Saturday at Real Salt Lake, Ferreira had his Colombian paw prints all over his team’s 2-1 win at Real Salt Lake, contributing a goal and an assist. His goal, an absolute screamer, supplied the stoppage-time game-winner.
Said manager Hyndman: “We’re a completely different team [with Ferreira]. I think before we battled and had some good players, but we were always hoping to get a result. Now we’re going in thinking we are going to get a result.”
- Champions League final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 7
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte