Aug 20, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer:
Soccer birthdays: Sevilla striker Álvaro Negredo, a Spanish international who was part of Spain’s Euro 2012 championship side, turns 27.
Big Important Story of the Day: We may know more today about Sergio Aguero’s knee injury. If it’s serious, as feared, defending English Premier League champion Manchester City may wade quickly back into the transfer market before the window closes in a week.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Joe Franchino
*Ahead on the blog today: The usual Monday deliverables, like MLS Player of the Week and Team of the Week. We’ll hear more about Richard Farley’s excellent adventures in England, too.
What you should watch on TV: Round 1 of English Premier League play concludes with a nice one: Everton and Tim Howard will try to contain mighty Manchester United, fortified with last week’s signing of former Arsenal marksman Robin van Persie. Match coverage begins at 2:55 p.m. ET on ESPN2.
If the MLS playoffs started today
- D.C. United at Chicago
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- New York Red Bulls vs. Houston
- Vancouver Whitecaps at L.A. Galaxy
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle
We’ll leave you with this: I won’t tie this to any particular MLS match from the weekend, but I will say this: Some of Major League Soccer referees may need a re-take on their annual fitness tests. Or perhaps the standards need to be addressed. Because there are some guys out there who do not appear fit enough to keep up with matches, which means they can’t properly do their jobs.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 0
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 2
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 1
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (16)