Aug 20, 2012, 6:58 PM EDT
- Chivas USA’s Dan Kennedy
Rationale, motive and intent: There’s that name again. He makes a lot of appearances in this space. This time, four quality saves helped his team steal a point in a 1-1 draw at Colorado.
- Philadelphia’s Carlos Valdes
- Seattle’s Leo Gonzalez
- Sporting Kansas City’s Aurelien Collin
Rationale, motive and intent: Every ounce of Valdes’ veteran calm and savvy was needed as the Union held off D.C. United in a 1-1 draw Sunday. Gonzalez had one of his best nights of 2012 for the Sounders in a comfortable 2-0 win over rival Vancouver. Collin was a smidge fortunate to survive referee wrath for one early challenge, but he was in charge along the back line otherwise.
- New York Red Bulls’ Dax McCarty
- Portland’s Sal Zizzo
- Columbus’ Eddie Gaven (pictured)
- FC Dallas’ David Ferreira
- Montreal’s Lamar Neagle
Rationale, motive and intent: Neagle, the former Seattle Sounders man, had a goal and an assist as the Impact moved into fifth place in the East with a massive win over Western Conference leading San Jose. Sizzo was terrific over two matches as the beleaguered Timbers managed a draw at Toronto and very nearly pulled off a second consecutive draw four nights later in New York. He had a goal against Toronto and then assisted on both Timbers’ goals on Sunday.
Gaven had a goal and an assist and put in his usual solid body of overall work as Columbus took a point out of a trip to Houston – and that is no easy point, for sure.
- Seattle’s Eddie Johnson
- Chicago Fire’s Chris Rolfe
Rationale, motive and intent: Johnson is playing with all the confidence that he never could muster during those years in England, and then some. Rolfe was productive in spurts in his first go-round with the Fire – but he has become a real force in his second stay at Toyota Park. He has four goals in his last four games for Frank Klopas’ team.
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 0
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 1
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0