Aug 20, 2012, 6:58 PM EST
- Chivas USA’s Dan Kennedy
Rationale, motive and intent: There’s that name again. He makes a lot of appearances in this space. This time, four quality saves helped his team steal a point in a 1-1 draw at Colorado.
- Philadelphia’s Carlos Valdes
- Seattle’s Leo Gonzalez
- Sporting Kansas City’s Aurelien Collin
Rationale, motive and intent: Every ounce of Valdes’ veteran calm and savvy was needed as the Union held off D.C. United in a 1-1 draw Sunday. Gonzalez had one of his best nights of 2012 for the Sounders in a comfortable 2-0 win over rival Vancouver. Collin was a smidge fortunate to survive referee wrath for one early challenge, but he was in charge along the back line otherwise.
- New York Red Bulls’ Dax McCarty
- Portland’s Sal Zizzo
- Columbus’ Eddie Gaven (pictured)
- FC Dallas’ David Ferreira
- Montreal’s Lamar Neagle
Rationale, motive and intent: Neagle, the former Seattle Sounders man, had a goal and an assist as the Impact moved into fifth place in the East with a massive win over Western Conference leading San Jose. Sizzo was terrific over two matches as the beleaguered Timbers managed a draw at Toronto and very nearly pulled off a second consecutive draw four nights later in New York. He had a goal against Toronto and then assisted on both Timbers’ goals on Sunday.
Gaven had a goal and an assist and put in his usual solid body of overall work as Columbus took a point out of a trip to Houston – and that is no easy point, for sure.
- Seattle’s Eddie Johnson
- Chicago Fire’s Chris Rolfe
Rationale, motive and intent: Johnson is playing with all the confidence that he never could muster during those years in England, and then some. Rolfe was productive in spurts in his first go-round with the Fire – but he has become a real force in his second stay at Toyota Park. He has four goals in his last four games for Frank Klopas’ team.
- Wondering where this match-fixing business will land? 1
- Manchester City advance, Chelsea bounced in League Cup 0
- Eddie Johnson to D.C. is happening: What this means for Seattle, United 5
- Stuart Holden returns to Bolton but still has a long way to go 2
- Jack Wilshere retrospectively charged for flipping the bird 1
- Cardiff City Unraveling: Malky Mackay told he won’t get a penny 2
- Voting on the U.S. national team all-time Best XI (19)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (18)
- Shouldn’t Peter Vermes be in the future U.S. national team coaching discussions? (17)
- NYCFC’s new stadium could be neighbor to Yankee Stadium (12)
- Tottenham is using blood spinning treatment on its players, and nobody seems to know if it’s doping (12)
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!