Aug 21, 2012, 3:25 PM EDT
As of Monday night, Geoff Cameron was still on the East Coast, attempting to dot and cross and all that, finalizing the red tape that will finally allow him to settle in at Stoke City.
The former Dynamo man says he knows he’ll have to prove himself at the Britannia, and may even be subject to extra, uh, “testing” from the players already on board. But he also says there is an awareness around the locker room that American players have come a long way in a relatively short time, so the weariness with which English players may have once approached Yankee job-takers has softened a bit.
Cameron spoke to longtime Houston-based soccer journalist and broadcaster Glenn Davis about the long period of transfer limbo and about his new gig at Stoke City.
Mostly, he’s just happy as a dog after dinner to finally be getting that chance to be tested. “It’s been a crazy ride,” he told Davis on Houston’s Sports Talk 790. “I just want to get over there, finally get settled, get into my place and just focus on training and playing games.”
Cameron hopes to be on a plane bound for England by Tuesday or Wednesday at latest.
The U.S. international center back also admitted there were times when he wondered if the long process might fall completely apart.
There were times when I thought it fell through, where Stoke had just had enough and didn’t want to deal with it anymore. But they kept fighting, and they ended up getting me. … Now the stress level is gone, and I can just focus on playing football.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public