Aug 21, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
Soccer birthdays: Most of us assume that Jeff Cunningham, who turns 36 today, is just holding Major League Soccer’s all-time scoring leadership. He slipped past Jaime Moreno about this time last year with goal No. 134. Landon Donovan has 124, and he’ll almost assuredly past Cunningham – if he doesn’t go and retire on us. So, we’ll see.
Across the Atlantic, just days before his team kicks off Bundesliga play Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski turns 24. Dortmund hosts Werder Bremen on Friday to inaugurate the 2012-13 Bundesliga season.
Big Important Story of the Day: There is one more round of Champions League play-in matches. Today, 10 teams begin home-and-away series for spots in the upcoming group stage. Wednesday, 10 more teams begin a home-and-away set. Among the recognized teams trying to fight their way into the lucrative Champions League group stage today: Scotland’s Celtic, France’s Lille, Germany’s Borussia Mönchengladbach, Turkey’s Fenerbahçe and Switzerland’s Basel.
And speaking of Champions League: Play resumes in CONCACAF’s version, as Real Salt Lake hosts Tauro from Panama. (Three more MLS teams are in CCL action Wednesday.)
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Chris Armas
*Ahead on the blog today: What will happen today to San Jose in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS rankings? Sporting Kansas City keeps winning. San Jose fell in Montreal. So …. The rankings will drop shortly after noon today.
We’ll also share a little story about fans from Vancouver and their not-so-excellent adventures in trying to breach the U.S. border en route to MLS action.
What you should watch on TV: Real Salt Lake’s clash with Tauro kicks off at 10 p.m. ET on Fox Soccer Channel.
There’s all kinds of UEFA Champions League this afternoon across the Fox outlets. Best of the bunch may be Germany’s Borussia Mönchengladbach against Ukraine’s Dynamo Kiev. That kicks at 5 p.m. ET on FSC (on delay).
We’ll leave you with this: We are all out of things to say about the big talker from Sunday, the chaos that became DC United vs. Philly. We’ve moved on.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs