Aug 21, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
Soccer birthdays: Most of us assume that Jeff Cunningham, who turns 36 today, is just holding Major League Soccer’s all-time scoring leadership. He slipped past Jaime Moreno about this time last year with goal No. 134. Landon Donovan has 124, and he’ll almost assuredly past Cunningham – if he doesn’t go and retire on us. So, we’ll see.
Across the Atlantic, just days before his team kicks off Bundesliga play Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski turns 24. Dortmund hosts Werder Bremen on Friday to inaugurate the 2012-13 Bundesliga season.
Big Important Story of the Day: There is one more round of Champions League play-in matches. Today, 10 teams begin home-and-away series for spots in the upcoming group stage. Wednesday, 10 more teams begin a home-and-away set. Among the recognized teams trying to fight their way into the lucrative Champions League group stage today: Scotland’s Celtic, France’s Lille, Germany’s Borussia Mönchengladbach, Turkey’s Fenerbahçe and Switzerland’s Basel.
And speaking of Champions League: Play resumes in CONCACAF’s version, as Real Salt Lake hosts Tauro from Panama. (Three more MLS teams are in CCL action Wednesday.)
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Chris Armas
*Ahead on the blog today: What will happen today to San Jose in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS rankings? Sporting Kansas City keeps winning. San Jose fell in Montreal. So …. The rankings will drop shortly after noon today.
We’ll also share a little story about fans from Vancouver and their not-so-excellent adventures in trying to breach the U.S. border en route to MLS action.
What you should watch on TV: Real Salt Lake’s clash with Tauro kicks off at 10 p.m. ET on Fox Soccer Channel.
There’s all kinds of UEFA Champions League this afternoon across the Fox outlets. Best of the bunch may be Germany’s Borussia Mönchengladbach against Ukraine’s Dynamo Kiev. That kicks at 5 p.m. ET on FSC (on delay).
We’ll leave you with this: We are all out of things to say about the big talker from Sunday, the chaos that became DC United vs. Philly. We’ve moved on.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 5
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)