Aug 21, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
Soccer birthdays: Most of us assume that Jeff Cunningham, who turns 36 today, is just holding Major League Soccer’s all-time scoring leadership. He slipped past Jaime Moreno about this time last year with goal No. 134. Landon Donovan has 124, and he’ll almost assuredly past Cunningham – if he doesn’t go and retire on us. So, we’ll see.
Across the Atlantic, just days before his team kicks off Bundesliga play Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski turns 24. Dortmund hosts Werder Bremen on Friday to inaugurate the 2012-13 Bundesliga season.
Big Important Story of the Day: There is one more round of Champions League play-in matches. Today, 10 teams begin home-and-away series for spots in the upcoming group stage. Wednesday, 10 more teams begin a home-and-away set. Among the recognized teams trying to fight their way into the lucrative Champions League group stage today: Scotland’s Celtic, France’s Lille, Germany’s Borussia Mönchengladbach, Turkey’s Fenerbahçe and Switzerland’s Basel.
And speaking of Champions League: Play resumes in CONCACAF’s version, as Real Salt Lake hosts Tauro from Panama. (Three more MLS teams are in CCL action Wednesday.)
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Chris Armas
*Ahead on the blog today: What will happen today to San Jose in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS rankings? Sporting Kansas City keeps winning. San Jose fell in Montreal. So …. The rankings will drop shortly after noon today.
We’ll also share a little story about fans from Vancouver and their not-so-excellent adventures in trying to breach the U.S. border en route to MLS action.
What you should watch on TV: Real Salt Lake’s clash with Tauro kicks off at 10 p.m. ET on Fox Soccer Channel.
There’s all kinds of UEFA Champions League this afternoon across the Fox outlets. Best of the bunch may be Germany’s Borussia Mönchengladbach against Ukraine’s Dynamo Kiev. That kicks at 5 p.m. ET on FSC (on delay).
We’ll leave you with this: We are all out of things to say about the big talker from Sunday, the chaos that became DC United vs. Philly. We’ve moved on.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 19
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (19)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights