Aug 21, 2012, 12:26 PM EST
(Nos. 1-10 are on deck …so check back)
19. Toronto FC – Woe is the team that cannot win over Portland at home. TFC managed only a draw with Portland at BMO Field. Darren O’Dea looked good in his TFC debut, but his entrance into the center of the defense wasn’t enough in a 1-0 loss to Sporting Kansas City.
18. Portland Timbers – Owner Merritt Paulson is feeling the heat (yes, even more of it than before) over his ongoing support for manager Gavin Wilkinson, who did have a pretty good week. Unfortunately, a draw and a close loss on the road qualifies as a “good week” these days for the beleaguered Timbers, who are winless in their last eight. At least there’s a rivalry match this week; Vancouver comes to Stumptown.
17. Colorado Rapids – Yes, Chivas goalkeeper Dan Kennedy had a lot to say about this one, with more of his good work helping contain the Rapids in a 1-1 draw outside Denver. If they have a big run in them, this weekend’s match is a pretty hard place to start one; Oscar Pareja takes his team into San Jose to meet the current league leaders.
16. New England Revolution – It’s all about 2013 now around downtrodden bunch from Gillette Stadium. Maybe that’s why Benny Feilheiber started on the bench for last week’s 2-1 loss to Chicago. A controversial penalty kick called against the Revs highlighted that one.
15. Philadelphia Union – A 1-1 draw at D.C. United has been in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons. Philadelphia was quite good in the first 45 and then just barely good enough after the break. Danny Cruz (pictured above) started and had a useful outing before needing to be relieved midway through the second half. He already looks like a nice addition around PPL Park.
14. Chivas USA – Juan Pablo Angel, now coming off the bench, struck at DSG Park as Chivas stole a point out of Colorado. A big mistake from newly arrive Shalrie Joseph put the Goats in a hole. Robin Fraser’s team is 7th in the West now, having been lapped by Dallas last week. Thing to remember about Chivas: they have four or five games in hand over most of the teams it is chasing in the Western Conference playoff race.
13. Vancouver Whitecaps – Barry Robson was pulled off the available list less than 24 hours before kickoff in Seattle. Tsk, tsk, MLS. Would the Scottish midfielder have made a difference Saturday? We’ll never know; Sounder by 2-0 in that one. Robson didn’t help much in the Whitecaps’ loss at home to Dallas three nights earlier. That’s the same Dallas side that is now five points south of Martin Rennie’s team for the final playoff spot.
12. FC Dallas – What Montreal has done in the East, FC Dallas is doing in the West – even if the side from Texas is behind the curve. Dallas is 5-2-2 lately with David Ferreira in the starting lineup. Imagine if they can ever get Blas Perez back on the field. George John’s big play in the back has been overlooked in all the hubbub over Ferreira’s return and Brek Shea’s enlivened play. The question, of course, is this all too late?
11. Montréal Impact – Jesse Marsch for mayor of Montreal? Of course, it’s really about the players. Patrice Bernier keeps scoring and setting up others and Marco Di Vaio just hit another one as he gets his MLS feet beneath him. Veteran center back Alessandro Nesta had to sit out last week’s big win (3-1) over San Jose with a knee sprain.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"