Aug 22, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
There is a growing legacy of Scottish strikers who arrive in MLS amid much media sizzle – only to underwhelm us with flagging production.
Anybody remember Dr. Goal, a.k.a. Kenny Deuchar? Probably not.
Kris Boyd certainly has not been all that and a bag of Kettle Chips at Portland. With seven goals in 23 games for a struggling team, he’s hardly a bust. Still, the production could be better, especially considering the swell of preseason expectation.
And now comes Kenny Miller (pictured, on right), Vancouver’s new hit man from Scotland. There’s pressure draped all over this one because the Whitecaps shipped away a proven scorer, and a less expensive one, in Eric Hassli to make this thing happen.
It is early, of course. Zero goals in five matches isn’t pretty, but it’s no deal-clincher. (That “zero” on the shots on target is fairly disconcerting, however.)
Still, you have to like a man who gets it, who calls himself out. Miller made his first two starts last week – as the Whitecaps found themselves on the business end of a brutal week.
A horrendous week. … I’m bitterly disappointed in both results we’ve had. Seattle, what a chance to bounce back after Wednesday, playing your local rivals in a derby and the travelling fans have come a long way to watch us.
“For me, first two starts, and to be beat two-nil, two-nil, it couldn’t have went much worse, to be honest.”
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public