Aug 22, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
Soccer birthdays: Manchester United forward Federico Macheda, who has been on loan for the last two years, turns 21.
And we missed Clyde Simms yesterday. Shame, too, because it was a big one. The Major League Soccer veteran who is now with the New England Revolution turned 30 on Tuesday. Sorry, Clyde, that’s our bad.
Big Important Stories of the Day: Celtic was among the surprise winners yesterday in Champions League play. Today, 10 more teams begin home-and-away series for spots in the upcoming group stage. U.S. international Sacha Kljestan and his club, Belgium’s Anderlecht, is one of them. Anderlecht takes on Cypriot side AEL Limassol FC.
Around here, one more MLS teams is up in CONCACAF Champions League play; the Houston Dynamo are in El Salvador to meet FAS.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Manny Lagos
What you should watch on TV: The FAS-Dynamo match kicks off at 10 p.m. ET on Fox Soccer Channel.
UEFA Champions League matches are running all day on FSC, as well.
If the MLS playoffs started today:
- D.C. United at Chicago
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- New York Red Bulls vs. Houston
- Vancouver Whitecaps at L.A. Galaxy
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle
*Ahead on the blog today: A pair of MLS matches highlight the evening, including three teams very involved in the ongoing playoff races. We are going to see a lot of that in the coming week, of course.
About the picture (above): The stunning stadium in Braga, Portugal, site of today’s Champions League clash vs. Udinese.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement