Aug 22, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
Soccer birthdays: Manchester United forward Federico Macheda, who has been on loan for the last two years, turns 21.
And we missed Clyde Simms yesterday. Shame, too, because it was a big one. The Major League Soccer veteran who is now with the New England Revolution turned 30 on Tuesday. Sorry, Clyde, that’s our bad.
Big Important Stories of the Day: Celtic was among the surprise winners yesterday in Champions League play. Today, 10 more teams begin home-and-away series for spots in the upcoming group stage. U.S. international Sacha Kljestan and his club, Belgium’s Anderlecht, is one of them. Anderlecht takes on Cypriot side AEL Limassol FC.
Around here, one more MLS teams is up in CONCACAF Champions League play; the Houston Dynamo are in El Salvador to meet FAS.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Manny Lagos
What you should watch on TV: The FAS-Dynamo match kicks off at 10 p.m. ET on Fox Soccer Channel.
UEFA Champions League matches are running all day on FSC, as well.
If the MLS playoffs started today:
- D.C. United at Chicago
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- New York Red Bulls vs. Houston
- Vancouver Whitecaps at L.A. Galaxy
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle
*Ahead on the blog today: A pair of MLS matches highlight the evening, including three teams very involved in the ongoing playoff races. We are going to see a lot of that in the coming week, of course.
About the picture (above): The stunning stadium in Braga, Portugal, site of today’s Champions League clash vs. Udinese.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: New York City FC 0
- Rumors know no window: Orlando using Kaka to lure Balotelli to MLS 5
- La Liga & Serie A roundup: Draws for Real, Atletico; Salah shines for Fiorentina 0
- Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Mourinho’s boys win League Cup trophy 0
- Three things we learned from Liverpool’s win vs. Manchester City 4