Aug 22, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
Real Salt Lake is alive in CONCACAF Champions League play thanks to … goals from the very men coach Jason Kreis had rested last weekend in a crushing loss at home.
Kyle Beckerman and Alvaro Saborio struck for the Utah side, which climbed stubbornly back into the group stage chase with a 2-0 win over Panamanian champions Tauro FC.
So in the end, the coach’s gambit paid off. All wasn’t ideal, however. Beckerman disciplinary issues are cropping up too much this year. He was thrown out late Tuesday for a dangerous tackle. That means he’ll be left behind when RSL travels into Panama next month for CONCACAF group stage match.
RSL dominated possession and enjoyed a huge edge in shots and quality chances. That doesn’t mean the visitors didn’t see a couple of early chances flash near Nick Rimando’s goal.
See it all on the highlights here. And don’t miss Paulo Jr.’s mazy run to set up the MLS side’s initial goal.
- Mats Hummels says his future is at Dortmund 0
- UEFA Champions League preview: Liverpool face Basel, Arsenal defend the Emirates 1
- Why do Manchester City struggle so much in the Champions League? 0
- Xavi breaks record for Champions League appearances 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: PSG beat Barcelona, Chelsea top Sporting 2
- Manchester City 1-1 AS Roma: Italians frustrate City as European woe continues 0