Aug 23, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
In all honesty, watching games this year from Columbus has sometimes been a bit painful.
Robert Warzycha’s team remained relevant in the playoff chase (although just barely) by being very difficult to break down, and therefore difficult to beat.
On the attack, however, the “wow factor” was at decidedly low ebb. Which is why Columbus came into last night’s match at Crew Stadium with a meager 23 goals, second worst in MLS, behind Chivas USA (whose offensive production is off-the-charts terrible with just 15 goals in 22 matches.)
So, for those wondering when a little zip, zing, and creative what-for might creep into the Crew game plan, wonder no more. It’s here.
Watch the video below of Columbus’ important 2-1 win over Toronto. Pay lesser attention to Eddie Gaven’s early opener. It was a lucky deflection, but a worthy reward for a man’s whose overall body of work this year probably deserves a little more statistical recognition.
Pay more attention to the 33rd minute sequence of wonderful, fluid, attacking soccer. What Jairo Arrieta (pictured) and even more recently arrived Federico Higuain are bringing to the men in Yellow right now is worth a look. Presumably, as Higuain finds his fitness, even more is on the way.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team