Aug 23, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Brek Shea had a bit of a renaissance in Mexico, David Ferreira came back from injury, and now brilliant forward Blas Pérez looks to be returning after an 11-week layoff. It’s coming up roses in Hoopsville.
Schellas Hyndman’s club sits five points out of the final spot in the Western Conference, with both the Los Angeles Galaxy and the Vancouver Whitecaps holding a game in hand. That seems like a large gap — and it is — but the team’s remaining schedule has us feeling good about the postseason chances.
A match against the Galaxy this weekend, a team coming off a mid-week fixture against Isidro Metapan with a maybe-hurt Landon Donovan.
Looking ahead, they have two tilts with not-very-good-at-all Chivas USA, and a home match against Vancouver. Read: Three exceedingly winnable fixtures. Plus, there’s a home-and-home with the Seattle Sounders, who are eight points clear. (Sure, Seattle has three games in hand on FCD, but two losses mean the teams are virtually even).
An away match to San Jose is most likely a loss, but it’s not hard to see FCD going 6-1 down the stretch. That, combined with the points they will take away from the teams ahead of them, should be enough to get them into the playoffs.
If (when) FCD gets there, watch out MLS. If we’ve learned anything from the league’s postseason, it’s that hot teams frequently do very, very well, no matter where they finish the regular season.
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 1
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?