Aug 23, 2012, 10:18 AM EDT
In the big picture, here are the most important names connected to Houston’s big 3-1 win Wednesday night over FAS in CONCACAF Champions League play: Tally Hall, Andre Hainault, Jermaine Taylor, Brad Davis, Mac Kandji, Will Bruin, Ricardo Clark, Oscar Boniek Garcia and Calen Carr.
It’s not what they did; it’s what they didn’t do. They didn’t play. Not much, anyway. (Brad Davis got on the field for the final nine minutes.)
So, not only did the Dynamo take command of its three-team group with a win on the road, but Dominic Kinnear’s men should remain relatively well-rested when they host Toronto on Saturday, a wonderful chance for the men in Orange to grab three more points as they keep the heat on Sporting Kansas City and New York at the top of the East.
Depth will continue to be a major issue for Kinnear and Co.; last night’s match was the second of a brutal stretch. Starting last weekend, the Dynamo is up against five matches in 15 days. (You can check out the Orange’s schedule here.)
Like I said, brutal – especially when you consider that tight window includes trips into El Salvador and Honduras.
By the way – and speaking of “brutal” – all three Houston goals came off headers. Watch the absolutely brutal marking from the Salvadorans, as all three Houston strikes come from uncontested headers.
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 6
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 9
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte