Aug 23, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Soccer birthdays: Liverpool and England international defender Glen Johnson turns 28. One of Johnson’s relatively recent claims to fame: a skewering Twitter criticism of Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson, who had been critical of Johnson’s performance. So, if you see Johnson today, best just wish him a Happy B-day and move on, eh?
Big Important Story of the Day: D.C. United re-established itself in the MLS playoff race with a resounding 4-2 win over Chicago. Dwayne De Rosario, who had been stuck on 98 goals since May, scored his team’s first. So, he’s that much closer to joining select company in the MLS 100 Goals Club.
West of there, Columbus did its part to keep its heat in the playoff race, taking care of business at home vs. Toronto.
Also, the Houston Dynamo went down to El Salvador … and will come back with a huge CONCACAF Champions League win in their pockets over FAS. A win on the road in three-team group play? Yes, that qualifies as “Huge.”
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Brian Maisonneuve
*Ahead on the blog today: Highlights and context of last night pair of MLS playoff influencers, plus the Panic Quotient. Later today, we’ll play “What’s on Noah Davis’ mind.” It’s a real hoot. You should give it a go.
What you should watch on TV: The Los Angeles Galaxy opens its Champions League account with a late contest against Salvadoran club Isidro Metapan. Kickoff on Fox Soccer Channel is 10 p.m. ET.
If the MLS playoffs started today:
- D.C. United at Chicago
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- New York Red Bulls vs. Houston
- Vancouver Whitecaps at L.A. Galaxy
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- Home teams take leads in first legs of Europa League semifinals 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Two way tussle for top spot – Week 35 0
- Premier League Scenarios: Title Chase, Race for Europe and Relegation 2
- Report: Mix Diskerud targeted by New York City FC 3
- Manchester United have two transfer deals provisionally in place – Cavani, Shaw, Fabregas all on radar 0
- Chelsea approves Jose Mourinho’s desire to play ‘B Squad’ against Liverpool 8