Aug 23, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Soccer birthdays: Liverpool and England international defender Glen Johnson turns 28. One of Johnson’s relatively recent claims to fame: a skewering Twitter criticism of Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson, who had been critical of Johnson’s performance. So, if you see Johnson today, best just wish him a Happy B-day and move on, eh?
Big Important Story of the Day: D.C. United re-established itself in the MLS playoff race with a resounding 4-2 win over Chicago. Dwayne De Rosario, who had been stuck on 98 goals since May, scored his team’s first. So, he’s that much closer to joining select company in the MLS 100 Goals Club.
West of there, Columbus did its part to keep its heat in the playoff race, taking care of business at home vs. Toronto.
Also, the Houston Dynamo went down to El Salvador … and will come back with a huge CONCACAF Champions League win in their pockets over FAS. A win on the road in three-team group play? Yes, that qualifies as “Huge.”
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Brian Maisonneuve
*Ahead on the blog today: Highlights and context of last night pair of MLS playoff influencers, plus the Panic Quotient. Later today, we’ll play “What’s on Noah Davis’ mind.” It’s a real hoot. You should give it a go.
What you should watch on TV: The Los Angeles Galaxy opens its Champions League account with a late contest against Salvadoran club Isidro Metapan. Kickoff on Fox Soccer Channel is 10 p.m. ET.
If the MLS playoffs started today:
- D.C. United at Chicago
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- New York Red Bulls vs. Houston
- Vancouver Whitecaps at L.A. Galaxy
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- Jozy Altidore the hero as the U.S. beats Honduras 1-0 1
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 1
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public