Aug 23, 2012, 4:24 PM EDT
The New York Red Bulls MLS campaign will continue (all the way to MLS Cup?) but it will go on without Ryan Meara. The surprise starting goalkeeper had season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his left hip to fix damage from an injury he suffered in June. Meara hadn’t played since June 19.
Bill Gaudette will stand between the pipes for NYRB with Luis Robles backing up the Pennsylvania-born, Puerto Rican-loving netminder. And just think, we were all laughing a few weeks ago when the club had like 47 goalkeepers on the roster. Perhaps they knew more about the extent of Meara’s injury than they were letting on. Then again, maybe they just wanted to have a goalkeeper party.
Anyway, back to Meara. It’s too bad to see him go, but it was a very good year. Shall we go to the release for details about his successful debut campaign? Let’s do that:
After being drafted in the second round (31st overall) in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft from Fordham University, Meara earned the starting role in preseason and was a midseason candidate for MLS Rookie of the Year, starting in 18 games for New York and earning a 9-5-4 record and a 1.50 goals against average. The Yonkers, NY native set the shutout record earlier this year for a rookie goalkeeper, not conceding a goal in 321 minutes while helping the Red Bulls earn a five-match winning streak from April 28 to May 19.
Hopefully he’ll return next season ready to go. There’s no reason to think that he won’t. Anyone feeling some A.J. Soares parallels? Promising, albeit a bit surprising, start. Season ended early due to injury. All that’s left for Meara is the even better sophomore year.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public