Aug 23, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
England newspaper The Mirror says Liverpool officials are attempting to offload midfielders Charlie Adam and Jay Spearing in short order, with an eye towards using the cash for the American international (who may or may not be on strike at Fulham, depending upon your definition of the word).
The story suggests that even a reduced valuation of about $12 million might be too much for the Anfield outfit without money raised from selling Adam, Spearing or whoever.
Sourcing, by the way, on this story? Nah.
Over there, it’s more of a guideline than a rule.
Speaking of which, and marked under the file of, “Whoa! Where did that come from?”: We find news that Sunderland might be kicking the Clint Dempsey tires. This story from the Daily Mail says so – not sourced, of course. But, details, details.
The problem is, Sunderland makes zero sense as a safe landing zone for the U.S. international. Getting out of Fulham was never about getting out of Fulham, per se. It was about passage into a club with larger ambitions. Specifically, it was about sipping from the cool, refreshing Champions League springs. Aahhh!
Sunderland is about as close to getting into Champions League as I am.
Fulham finished 9th last year, four spots ahead of Sunderland, where relegation talk is a perennial discussion point in Mackem-friendly pubs – usually beginning somewhere around October.
Besides, trading London for Sunderland? I’ve been to both. So has Dempsey. Let’s just leave it there.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear