Aug 24, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT
Red Bulls star striker Thierry Henry will miss his team’s weekend match due to the birth of his son, the team just announced.
That’s bad news for New York and for ESPN2, which still gets a very attractive matchup but loses the most talented and attractive player. Rafa Marquez, another of the Red Bulls DPs, is also out; the Mexican international has a calf injury.
But it’s still a marquee match, featuring the top team in the East (SKC) and the second-place pursuers (NYRB).
In another important weekend match, Italian defensive stalwart Alessandro Nesta will apparently be back on the field as his Montreal Impact attempted to make up ground on D.C. United. That’s according to Nick Sabetti, a journalist who covers the Impact for several outlets. Sabetti broke that via Twitter on Friday morning.
Out West, L.A. Galaxy manager Bruce Arena said he was “hopeful” of a Landon Donovan appearance Sunday against FC Dallas; that one has playoff implications because the Galaxy is among the teams Dallas would need to catch to sneak into the playoffs. That’s according to the L.A. Galaxy Insider Blog.
Dallas, meanwhile, may get a big presence back on the field for this one: Panamanian striker Blas Perez keeps inching closer to a return, and the FCD coach says it may just happen at the Home Depot Center.
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 20
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (20)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights