Aug 24, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
Soccer birthdays: Denílson turns 35. He was the world’s most expensive player when he signed with Betis in 1988. See also: awful with FC Dallas in 2007. But we don’t hold grudges here at PST. Happy birthday to a true legend.
Big Important Story of the Day: Hmmm, so many options. But what do you want to talk about? We’re here for our readers, after all.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Phil Weston (Will Ferrell’s character in Kicking & Screaming. Yeah, that’s a deep cut.)
*Ahead on the blog today: Steve Davis returns with a vengeance. He’ll have thoughts on the Los Angeles Galaxy-Isidro Metapan match, your glorious weekend preview, the Daily Dempsey (because, you know, it’s a new day), and anything else that jumps from his mind to his fingers and then onto your face.
What you should watch on TV: Real Salt Lake travels to Philly and attempts to right the ship. A midweek CCL win helped but victory in MLS would go a long way toward making us all stop worrying about Jason Kreis’ club.
If the MLS playoffs started today:
- D.C. United at Chicago
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- New York Red Bulls vs. Houston
- Vancouver Whitecaps at L.A. Galaxy
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- MLS, union come together to avoid calamitous work stoppage 5
- Wednesday’s Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Man City win; six of top seven prevail 0
- Jose Mourinho says his Chelsea team “were brothers on the pitch” in crucial win 0
- West Ham United 0-1 Chelsea: Hazard’s header enough for league leaders 0
- Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester United: Krul gaffe spoils Jonas return 4
- Swansea’s Bafetimbi Gomis stretchered off the pitch after appearing to collapse 1