Aug 25, 2012, 6:58 AM EDT
Perhaps we shouldn’t be too surprised that Philadelphia and Real Salt Lake tugged and tussled their way cautiously to a 0-0 draw Friday at PPL Park.
Both teams set up with five midfielders and just one, lone striker.
Plus, Jason Kreis’ team was playing its third match in seven days, following a loss at home last weekend and a mid-week win in CONCACAF Champions League play. So, the side from Utah was stretched physically, and probably always going to approach this one on the safe side.
The result was a match with few chances and precious few shots on target (a combined five for both teams).
Highlights (and then post-game comments) from last night’s match, few that they were:
Said Real Salt Lake goalkeeper Nick Rimando: “It definitely wasn’t the prettiest game; our objective was to get a point tonight.” The rest of his interview with
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 1
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public