Aug 25, 2012, 10:55 AM EST
We can count RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando as one man around PPL Park last night who didn’t get his feelings too hurt over a 0-0 draw.
Shutout for Rimando? Yeah, he’s seen a few. In fact, he’s been in goal for 96 of them.
That makes Rimando the league’s second all-time leader in that category, behind only Kevin Hartman from FC Dallas.
What are the chances that Rimando and RSL can notch four more this season, bringing the RSL No. 1 to that milepost shutout No. 100 this year? Not great, but there is a chance.
Real Salt Lake has seven matches remaining. Best chances for shutouts are Portland at home and Chivas USA on the road. If he gets those two … perhaps he can sneak in another one here and there. If commanding RSL center back Jamison Olave gets healthy, the chances go up a tad.
But the better odds have Rimando reaching the landmark early next year. He’s 33 – a young man in goalkeeper’s years. Brad Friedel, 41, is still an English Premier League starter.
So Rimando isn’t going anywhere.
Here’s where he stands in among Major League Soccer’s leaders in all-time shutouts. (The list is from before last night’s contest.)
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 6
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''