Aug 25, 2012, 10:55 AM EST
We can count RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando as one man around PPL Park last night who didn’t get his feelings too hurt over a 0-0 draw.
Shutout for Rimando? Yeah, he’s seen a few. In fact, he’s been in goal for 96 of them.
That makes Rimando the league’s second all-time leader in that category, behind only Kevin Hartman from FC Dallas.
What are the chances that Rimando and RSL can notch four more this season, bringing the RSL No. 1 to that milepost shutout No. 100 this year? Not great, but there is a chance.
Real Salt Lake has seven matches remaining. Best chances for shutouts are Portland at home and Chivas USA on the road. If he gets those two … perhaps he can sneak in another one here and there. If commanding RSL center back Jamison Olave gets healthy, the chances go up a tad.
But the better odds have Rimando reaching the landmark early next year. He’s 33 – a young man in goalkeeper’s years. Brad Friedel, 41, is still an English Premier League starter.
So Rimando isn’t going anywhere.
Here’s where he stands in among Major League Soccer’s leaders in all-time shutouts. (The list is from before last night’s contest.)
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 1
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 1
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014