Aug 25, 2012, 10:55 AM EDT
We can count RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando as one man around PPL Park last night who didn’t get his feelings too hurt over a 0-0 draw.
Shutout for Rimando? Yeah, he’s seen a few. In fact, he’s been in goal for 96 of them.
That makes Rimando the league’s second all-time leader in that category, behind only Kevin Hartman from FC Dallas.
What are the chances that Rimando and RSL can notch four more this season, bringing the RSL No. 1 to that milepost shutout No. 100 this year? Not great, but there is a chance.
Real Salt Lake has seven matches remaining. Best chances for shutouts are Portland at home and Chivas USA on the road. If he gets those two … perhaps he can sneak in another one here and there. If commanding RSL center back Jamison Olave gets healthy, the chances go up a tad.
But the better odds have Rimando reaching the landmark early next year. He’s 33 – a young man in goalkeeper’s years. Brad Friedel, 41, is still an English Premier League starter.
So Rimando isn’t going anywhere.
Here’s where he stands in among Major League Soccer’s leaders in all-time shutouts. (The list is from before last night’s contest.)
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 4
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- VIDEOS: A brief history of recent “Olimpico” goals in MLS 2
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 7
- Philadelphia’s Jack McInerney would be league’s youngest Golden Boot winner 1
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- HBT: Dodgers manager Mattingly could be on the hot seat
- OlyTalk: Pistorius rules out racing in 2013
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago