Aug 26, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
There will be no post-season soccer around Jeld-Wen Field this year.
Not even the most irrepressible dreamer could concoct a realistic scenario that would see the Timbers into this year’s post-season. They would probably need to win seven of their last nine, and that’s not going to happen – not considering how badly the second-year club has lost its way in 2012.
So the fabulous fans around the Rose City must take their achievement where they can. Which is why last night’s win must feel so wonderful.
Because the 2-1 win over Cascadia Cup rival Vancouver certainly did some damage to the Whitecaps’ playoff chances.
Los Angeles can provide a little breathing room with a win over Dallas tonight. But if the team from Texas finds a way at the Home Depot Center (7 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network), Vancouver will wake up Monday morning just two points ahead of FCD for the final playoff spot in the West.
Either way, Vancouver’s loss will add pressure to Martin Rennie’s club, which just isn’t having much go its way lately.
Darren Mattocks’ late ejection certainly won’t help the Whitecaps, either. (There are those disciplinary issues again, the ones that Rennie says his club doesn’t have.)
And as Saturday’s result became the first win for interim Portland coach Gavin Wilkinson, this will surely make for a happier few days around the Timbers practice ground.
So enjoy your moment and the win, Timbers fans. You deserve it.
Here are the highlights.
(Oh! Don’t miss Steven Smith’s wonderful goal-line clearance for Portland at about the 5-minute mark of the package.)
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 11
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 25
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 1
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (12)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona