Aug 26, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT
Chris Wondolowski gets a lot of ink for his Golden Boot efforts, which has become an annual chase lately for the Earthquakes striker.
Two of his young teammates are gathering up some spotlight and even some national team mention and recognition for their work at outside back, Steven Beitashour and Justin Morrow.
And lately, Alan Gordon has risen as a strike partner for Wondolowski; Gordon keeps proving he knows exactly where to find the ball in and around the six.
But here’s something that doesn’t get mentioned much when we talk about the Buck Shaw brigade: midfielder Simon Dawkins is an absolutely clinical finisher.
The deal is, Dawkins doesn’t start all of San Jose matches – just 16 of 26 this year. With Marvin Chavez, Shea Salinas and others around for selection, coach Frank Yallop has healthy options on the flanks.
But Dawkins does well when he gets in. Like last night, where the Englishman put those excellent finishing skills to great use against the down-and-out Colorado Rapids.
Dawkins matched Gordon’s production as each Earthquakes’ man struck twice in a 4-1 thumping of the visitors from Colorado.
The Earthquakes stretched their lead for Western Conference supremacy and for the Supporters Shield.
Highlights are here:
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 25
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 2
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (25)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Donovan: “I’ll get my way back in” with USMNT (9)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team