Aug 27, 2012, 8:18 AM EDT
This looked a lot like the L.A. Galaxy of 2011 – a team that went on to an MLS championship.
David Beckham creates from deep. They stifle with dependable, Omar Gonzalez-led defense. They get some good goalkeeping in the moments that matter.
And they pounce ruthlessly on any opposition booboos in the back.
The Galaxy made no mistake with their second-half chance when Dallas got caught in a moment of back line inattention. Bruce Arena’s team added a late one and that was that.
It all might have been different but for an early, controversial decision by referee Kevin Stott, who could easily have left the Galaxy playing a man down for about 75 minutes by showing Todd Dunivant a red card. Watch that sequence here on the complete NBC Sports Network highlights.
And here’s what commanding center back Omar Gonzalez had to say about the win, which pushed the Galaxy a little closer toward Seattle and Real Salt Lake; Arena’s side would need to catch one of those teams, at least, to dodge the extra playoff game in Major League Soccer’s new post-season format.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 5
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million