Aug 27, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
When Federico Higuain channeled his inner Beckham and nailed a second free kick goal of the evening, pulling his weight in a 4-3 Columbus Crew win, I was already writing up Player of the Week sentences to store away for today.
Who could possibly top that?
Well, Seattle Sounders striker Fredy Montero went and one-upped the Crew contender.
Montero scored three quality goals as Seattle took apart Chivas USA down in Southern California. The Colombian striker also supplied an assist and crossed another ball that Chivas USA turned into an own goal.
Three things to keep in mind as we hand the week’s ProSoccerTalk Player of the Week award to the Sounders’ striker:
- Few around MLS can do a scoring streak the way Fredy Montero does them. The 25-year-old striker has scored in four consecutive contests foe Seattle. So, watch out, MLS.
- Montero has 45 career MLS goals, but Saturday’s trio was his first hat trick. Count me as surprised.
- Streaky as he tends to be, Montero has been pretty consistent around CenturyLink by year’s end. His goal scoring totals starting in 2009: 12 goals, 10 goals and 12 goals. With 11 strikes so far in 2012, he’s on pace to do even more this year.
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 0
- Another EPL manager goes, as Tony Pulis leaves Stoke City 2
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (13)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team