Aug 27, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer:
Soccer birthdays: AC Milan’s Ghanaian international Sulley Muntari turns 28. Not only that, he shares a birthday with Tottenham winger David Bentley, who also turns 28 today.
Alessandro Gamberini, a Napoli man who has earned a handful of Italian national team caps, turns 31. And recently retired midfielder Dietmar Hamann, whose best days were at Bayern Munich and Liverpool, and who earned 59 caps for Germany, turns 38. He now manages Stockport United in England’s fifth tier.
Big Important Story of the Day: Looks like there is finally official movement in the Luka Modric deal, which sends the Tottenham playmaker to Real Madrid.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Rhett Harty
If the MLS playoffs started today:
- D.C. United at Chicago
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- New York Red Bulls vs. Houston
- Vancouver Whitecaps at L.A. Galaxy
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle
*Ahead on the blog today: What would a day in August, 2012, be without the Daily Dempsey. It cannot last much longer. The transfer period closes at the end of this week.
We’ll also have lots of MLS material as the playoff races continue to tighten. MLS Player of the Week and Team of the Week are up, as well. And the Monday Meh list, a quick chronicle of the slightly overrated.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- Premier League transfer needs: What’s been done and what’s left to do by Monday? 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 23 0
- Geoff Cameron predicts Super Bowl XLIX win for his New England Patriots 1
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester City, Arsenal, Saints to win 0
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Manchester City 0
- Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more 3